Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rough day

I started out well this morning. Arrived at Cancer Agency for bloodwork at 11:00. Asked that the needle be left in the port for the afternoon draw. The first nurse couldn't get the needle in but a 2nd one did it easily.

Had lunch with Mae & Darline in the cafeteria. It used to be busy with great food. Even employees at VGH would come over. It was virtually empty today. Didn't even have regular tea bags.

Spent the afternoon in the fifth floor lounge, reading Scavenger (a book Patience brought me that has geocaching in it) and listening to my iPod. Mae & Darline would join me in between their Therapeutic Touch patients.

I went into the chemo room at 2:15 for my trial - literally. The nurse argued about using the port for the blood draw at the end of the treatment and wanted to put the intravenous in it. That is the small needle so it makes sense to go for the vein with it. She warmed up my right hand and finally got a needle in but couldn't get it to work. Pulled it out and put so much pressure on that I now have a big sore bruise. She tried the left hand but couldn't find a vein. Back to the right hand and finally got it in after about 1/2 an hour.

After the drug was in, she called for the blood pickup and drew it out of the port with no trouble - my point was made!

We broke another record for the hottest day ever, so I came straight home and am sitting in front of the fan and spraying myself with water!

No comments: