Friday, July 17, 2009

Better day

Things went better today at the Cancer Agency. This was the first time that the morning bloodwork was done in Medical Daycare by a nurse who was trained in using the port-a-cath. I explained how bad things were the last time and she had a solution. Instead of using the thing for the intravenous, she drew blood from it and left the needle hanging & taped.

I then sat and read until it was time to see my trial nurse. She was away but I knew her replacement and that went quickly - vitals and questions.

I had parked at City Square (free for 2 hours) and walked back to meet Mae who was at her doctors. We moved the car to the Agency and then went to the Cactus Club for lunch.

I was back in the Chemo Unit early for my 2:00 treatment. Everything worked to plan with one glitch. I forgot to take my pill at lunch. I usually take it with breakfast but had to wait for that 1st blood test. The final blood test had to be 2 hours after taking it so I had to hang around an extra hour.

Now I am glad that I had the surgery to insert the port-a-cath and will keep to this routine. I saw my cancer marker for 2 weeks ago and it was up a bit but still in the 40's so the slide to the high numbers has stopped.

No comments: