Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Norris

Finally finished reading my Bin Laden book. Took a long time but was worth it. Now I've started The Uses and Abuses of History by Margaret MacMillan, one of my favourite authors.

Stopped at the library for 2 more books and then picked up Louise to go to a talk at VPL. She reminded me about the free parking spaces that appear at 6 pm and someone pulled out just as I turned the corner. We then had liver and onions at Rosie's on Robson.

The talk was brilliant.

Michael Kluckner, author of Vancouver Remembered, will discuss the influence of Len Norris on his work, especially the way in which Norris imaginatively, yet realistically, depicted the geography of the city and the province. The talk will tie together Norris's cartoon collections, the work of other cartoonists, such as Al Beaton who drew for the Province in the 1950s, and the work of Kluckner himself.

Vancouver Remembered won the 2007 City of Vancouver Book Award and he was invited to come from Australia to be honoured at the Vancouver Arts Awards on May 26th. Ten days before he came, they told him that the ceremony was postponed until late June and asked if he would still make it. Another reason to get rid of Citizen Sam!!!

I took a couple of book for Michael to sign and then realized I probably have a couple of his older ones when I saw the display of his work.

I also have this hanging in my wall, straight from the Burrard Street bridge.

The Simon Fraser University Library Editorial Cartoons Collection contains over 5000 original drawings by Len Norris, Roy Peterson, Graham Harrop, Bob Krieger, Dan Murphy, Bob Bierman, Ingrid Rice, and Edd Uluschak published in Canadian newspapers between 1952 and the present if you want more.

I forgot to take my pills last night until 11:30 and again tonight (9:30)! I was doing so well until now. I have to get better at this.

No comments: