Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Implanted Vascular Access Device

Well, I now have a plug in my chest. Always did like the Bionic Woman!

Mae & Connie picked me up at 8:30 and took me to Vancouver Hospital. I was taken in at 10:15 to pre-op. Putting an intravenous into my arm wasn't easy - and that is the point! The resident came with a pop-up book to show me just what the IVAD (Implanted Vascular Access Device) looked like and how it worked. It is also called a BardPort, Port-a-Cath, pick,

The started with a bag of anti-biotics and took me into the operating theatre at about 11:15. Really nice resident, nurses and doctor (David Taylor). They covered my face with a tent of turquoise sheets so I couldn't see anything and then put something in the line to relax me. Really didn't feel it at all. Then needles into my neck and chest - I did feel these and asked for more. The resident did the procedure and the doctor watched the ultrasound and talked her through it. I liked this as I could keep track of what they were doing.

She cut into my caratoid artery on the right side of my neck and shoved a wire down to my chest. Then she cut into the chest and put this little gizmo in under the skin and stuck the end of the catheter into it.

Then it was back to recovery and they gave me an egg salad sandwich and some cranberry juice. Mae and Connie were back and drove me straight home. My neck isn't hurting as much as it did but I think I'll just sleep in my chair for a couple of nights. I am to keep still for a couple of days and can't shower until Friday.

I've been dozing on and off all day.

No comments: