Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Forgiveness

I was mesmerized by the 2 hours of action in the House of Commons today. It is about time that the government apologized for the Indian Residential School system. What a moment in history!

I actually stayed a few nights in the Thomas Simpson Federal School (now the Thomas Simpson Secondary school) in the summer of 1966. I was part of a group in Fort Simpson, NWT for a Centennial Exchange tour. The sheets were rough flannel and the mattresses were covered with rubber. We were so far north there were blackout curtains on the windows. The nuns were in full habit and only spoke French - they were quite scary when we came upon them in the corridors.

I am feeling better today than I have for the last 2 days. I am never sure if what is wrong is me or side effects. As long as they go away!

No comments: