Monday, July 9, 2012

Mega holiday

We were up early and had the free breakfast at the hotel before checking out.  We drove up to the Pancake Breakfast event but they were having propane trouble and the line was long.  We logged in and headed out for some caches.  Got a few multis and one challenge.  You needed 7 types of caches in a day and since we did 11 yesterday we couldn't ignore it when the owner told us about it last night.  Trouble was, my car GPS decided a totally wrong way to go.  We went too far North and then tried to drive on a closed logging road.  We had to backtrack to the Cowichan Lake Road and then nearly missed the turn to Chemainus River Park.  The GPS never did accept our route and kept trying to get me to turn around.  We not only parked close to the hide, another cacher had just found it and told us it was close.

This took a lot of time so we didn't find all the multis we wanted.  I stayed in my car at the top of a hill while Lori climbed down.  I finally phoned to say time was short.  She sent me on to the ferry and started running up the hill to her car.  I made it on with my reservation with 3 minutes to spare for the 3:15 ferry at Duke Point.  She was close enough to the window that the woman let her on.  There were only 2 other cars behind her!  We had a mid-afternoon lunch/dinner onboard and were able to have a relaxing trip on a perfect afternoon for sailing.

I am tired but in pretty good shape.  I was fading last night and this morning but have gained a second wind.  The trip was well worth the effort and who knows if there will be another mega event close by any time soon.


No comments: