Wednesday, March 5, 2008

First Day at the Cancer Agency

I am blogging from the lobby of the Cancer Agency - sure different than 18 years ago!

I have had bloodwork & a chest X-ray and my first meeting with Karen. She says the chest is clear but wants to do a lot more testing - bone scan, CT, MUGA Scan (heart)...

The good news is that she is 95% sure that it is breast cancer that has been hiding all these years and is now in the lymph nodes from the heart down to the adrenal gland area. She thinks something else made me sick and it was just luck that they found the cancer. It might have been years before it started bothering me.

It doesn't look like I need chemo or radiation. If the tests and my old files confirm Karen's opinion, I should be on a hormone drug by the end of March. It might be Tamoxifen again but probably will be one of the newer ones. I am also being considered for a clinical trial and already have the information package to read.

While this is not a curable cancer, it is also not a metastasized one either. I can live for years on the medication if it controls the spread. All in all, this is a good outlook!

No comments: