Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hereditary Cancer

Had my first appointment at the BC Cancer Agency's Hereditary Cancer program. They took blood today testing for faulty BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes - the only vein she could find was on the base of my thumb). I fit the criteria because I had 2 different types of breast cancer in my forties. My mother's family also was of some interest.

It was Lynch Syndrome (hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer) that was the surprising possibility. People with Lynch syndrome have an increased risk of cancers of the stomach, small intestine, liver, gallbladder ducts, upper urinary tract, brain, skin, and prostate. Several of these are in my Dad's family and my endrometrial cancer is connected. The plan now is to ask next-of-kin to give permission to test stored tissue of deceased relatives. Good thing I am the genealogist in the family. I'll have to search for a few but there is no big rush.

Stopped at Second Beach to find my 33rd cache and then had a free-range bison burger at Hamburger Mary's. Also a lime shake made with low-fat frozen yogurt and 2% milk.

Went back to the BCTF AGM at 14:30 and watched the debate for a while and visited friends. The point of going was to watch Lynne Sinclair win the Stewart Schon Health and Safety Award. He would have approved. Lynne was the only choice for the first winner of this and her speach was perfect.

Had dinner at the Mosaic Bar and Grill in the Hyatt with The Sapphire Girls: a sapphire gin martini, mosaic salad (green apple, double smoked bacon, roasted walnuts, baby greens, roquefort crème)and lamb (boneless lamb loin, caponata, white bean purée, olive jus). Someone sent over a chocolate cake for Lynne that we all shared.

No comments: