Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Study over

A very busy day!

Started out having 6 vials of blood drawn at the Cancer Agency. Hung out reading until 11:00 and then saw my clinical trial nurse. The Anastrozole Plus Lonafarnib (SCH 66336) or Plus Placebo for the Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer trial has been suspended worldwide. They still don't know why, but will call me when they get more information. The blind was lifted and I was on the placebo. I had guessed that since I didn't have a lot of side effects.

This means that the anastrozole (Arimidex) is what is working and shrinking the tumours and bringing down the tumour markers. Last week's CT Scan shows that the previous masses are stable or, in the case of the one on the right adrenal gland, no longer measurable.

There is a nodule in my right lung but it hasn't changed so they aren't worried about it. Maybe some old scar tissue. I also have a duplex right kidney. I never claimed to be normal.

No more diary to keep! I will continue on the Arimidex and just have to take one pill in the morning - I had a terrible time remembering to take those evening pills, even if they were in my pocket. I'll still see my oncologist but only when every couple of months for a CT Scan and blood tests.

Rushed to the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts to meet Georgina. Called John to have to tell her that I was leaving the parking lot at 12:20 & our reservation was for 12:00. Georgina had a 2 for 1 coupon and it was a fine meal: Butternut Squash Soup, Blanquette of Chicken Breast & White Prawns with Sautéed Pearl Onions and finished with Chocolate Mousse. Bought a couple of chocolate & raspberry treats for Pru & me.

Stopped at Tilley Endurables for a new pair of Crinkled Cotton Women's Drawstring Shorts and then to my GP's. I needed a refill for the Nexium that I take for the Hiatus Hernia. We are going to try a new drug that is half the strength since I am doing so well. He thinks the swelling in my leg was positional edema since the Ultrasound ruled out a blood clot and the CT Scan didn't find any swelling in lymph nodes at the top of the leg. No more long hours of sitting.

Had to go back to get a supply of Arimidex at the Cancer Agency pharmacy. Sat outside to read for a while. On to Max's Bakery & Delicatessen on Oak. Got pesto & shrimp salad for dinner and took one to Pru.

Finally finished reading Swan Peak, the latest James Lee Burke book that I picked up at the library yesterday afternoon so I could deliver it to Pru with the food.

Found parking outside everywhere I went today! A good day all around.

No comments: