Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Test Day

Had to be at the Cancer Agency for a blood test at 11:15 - she actually found a vein in my arm! The last 2 sticks were in the back of my hand.

Waited around for 2 hours and then had an appointment with Karen but she was home sick. Loved the resident who saw me. He had talked to her on the phone before coming in to see me. There was something showing on the bone scan in my lower back but they think it is arthritis, not mets to the bone.

The bloodwork for CA-125 wasn't back yet so we talked about me doing it a few days earlier than the meeting with the doctor so this won't happen again. My markers seem to be rising but the test at the outside lab a few weeks ago wasn't exactly comparable. It showed I had gone to 51 - 45 is the danger point. Today's test should show if that is true and I'll have it in a couple of days



I still haven't had the CT-Scan but am sitting on a waiting list. The doctor will push for that soon and also wants a test of the mineral density of my bones.

He thinks the pain in my butt could be connected to the arthritis in the lower back. I am to go to my GP for a complete checkup and comprehensive bloodwork.

The appointment was better than I feared after talking to the resident a couple of weeks ago. It is amazing how a doctor's attitude can colour the message.

VESTA's AGM was at Chapel Arts - Vancouver's newest and most unique venue/gallery found in the notorious downtown east side at 304 Dunlevy. A beautiful Art Deco building but parking was an adventure. Was in the lot next to the Patricia Hotel surrounded by prostitutes. I smiled and they were all friendly but at the lower end of the spectrum. Quite sad, not scary. The machine wouldn't take my credit card so I called the DPS number on the sign and they took my licence number and the parking was free.

It was a good meeting and it was nice to see so many old friends. There were over a dozen lifetime members present and we added Barb & Jane to our ranks. The food was great. Two men were at a sushi bar making sushi to order - I had avocado & celery.

Took Barbara to the skytrain & met Barb, Susan, Maureen, Jane, Heather and Margaret at Death by Chocolate for dessert.

Dropped off Jesse's birthday present and home by 10 - a long day!


No comments: