Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Krall

Up early to attend an Executive meeting of the Vancouver Branch of the Retired Teachers' Association at the BCTF. They have the wireless passwords posted by the phone now so I could use my little netbook to look stuff up. Four of us then walked up to Max's for lunch.

Home for a rest and to read the papers.

Picked up Mae and we parked at Connie's in Yaletown. Connie was taking me for dinner and a show for my birthday. I think this is the last of my celebrations. Walked to the Hurricane Grill on Marinaside Crescent for dinner - I had the Grill Salad (6OZ N.Y. steak on grilled vegetables, spring mix, together with a balsamic reduction) and shared a piece of Key Lime Cheesecake. Definitely a place to return to.

We took a cab to the Orpheum and met Andy to see Diana Krall with the VSO. A truly amazing concert. It was the perfect venue. We sat dead centre in the upper balcony and could see everything. Her musicians were outstanding and her music worked with the orchestra behind her. It was like watching a singer from the 50's. What a sexy voice she has (See video of Quiet Nights).

The only problem was the jerk in front of us. The balding grey-haired man was with a young blonde who I at first thought might be his daughter. I quickly changed my mind when they kept snuggling. Andy couldn't see through them, so she sat on her coat to get higher. They never stopped talking! When they got up and walked out about half way through, we thought they might be rushing to a nearby hotel. No such luck and they returned after a couple of songs.

I finally snapped and told them to "Shut the fuck up" - it just burst out! The man jumped to his feet, swore back at me and said something that I couldn't understand but from his gestures, I think he wanted to fight me out in the alley. I told him to shut up and I think he realized that everyone was looking at him so he sat down. The two of them sat up straight and didn't talk during the second half of the concert. The women behind me were laughing at the end of the concert and thanked me.

I had the aisle seat so my knees didn't hurt until near the end. I do have a lot of aches and pains from yesterday's fall. Dumb, dumb, dumb - but maybe not as dumb as Mae falling off Evan's skateboard.

No comments: