Thursday, November 6, 2008

2nd check-up

Took a cab to the Diamond Centre this morning and had new X-rays of my ankle. The resident and Dr. LeFaivre said I was doing well. I will have to wear the boot when I go out for 6 weeks (November 22nd). They showed me the new X-rays and the break is clearly visible now it is healing. I fractured the talus - that bump that sticks out on the inside of the right foot.

Talus fractures were almost unheard of a hundred years ago. The first series of talus fractures was described in men who were injured in the British Royal Air Force in the early 1900s. The term 'aviators astragalus' was used to describe these fractures that happened as old war planes made crash landings. Now talus fractures are seen in high speed car accidents and severe falls.

Patients who have a talus fracture have significant ankle pain, difficulty bearing weight on the ankle, and swelling around the ankle joint.



Someone took my cab so I waited a long time for another one. Hard to be fast with a boot on. I bought a sandwich at the deli in the lobby. I only buy what will fit in my slingbag.

Had another dizzy spell lying on the X-ray table (sound like a Victorian lady - shudder!). My neck is also hurting. My doctor is away so I'll see his partner next Thursday. Will also get my flu shot.

No comments: