Monday, March 10, 2014

Chemo today

Nice quiet morning .  Freemason driver picked me up at 1:15.  She already had one passenger and we went to Dunbar for two more.  Nice drive in the sunshine.  Arrived in time to meet my trials nurse and the photograph.  My biggest tumour has grown so quickly, the photos from 2 weeks ago are useless.

My trial is: Intravenous Administration of REOLYSIN® in Combination with Paclitaxel for Patients with Advanced or Metastatic Breast Cancer


We started with bags of Ranitidine for reflux, and Benadryl and Dexamethasone, in case of allergic reaction.  That took an hour.  Mae and Darline came to visit.  Then the main drugs.  Reolysin was first. I always had a nurse watching and they had drugs ready in case I had an allergic reaction.  It turned out fine and I even dozed.  The next one was also fine.  Had to go to the bathroom a few times, dragging my pole with me.  To many fluids.  

I had a good book on my Kobo and music on my iTouch.  My nurse once lived on the same 2-block street in Richmond where I grew up and went to the same schools.  Small world.  

My biggest problem was getting home.  Freemasons stop at 5 and it was now 6.  My third call was Moira and she came to retrieve me.  Felt well enough for Japanese food at Applause on the way home. 

Feeling a bit hyped and tired.  Warned I might have trouble sleeping.  I should feel sick, just tired.  Other side effects will include hair loss, bleeding nose and gums, bruising, fever, chills...  I have a card full of number to call.  

Only the Paclitaxel tomorrow.  Repeat the next two Monday & Tuesday and then a week off.  



No comments: