Monday, March 24, 2014

Allergic reaction

My ride was a bit late but they called to warn me.  Arrived at the Cancer Agency a bit after 10 for bloodwork.  Had some tea and met Mae at 11.  Bought a toasted egg salad sandwich for lunch.

Arrived for chemo a bit early and my nurse took me right in.  I was joking with the two nurses in the room about not panning to have an allergic reaction to the Taxol.  Big mistake.  My right shoulder started really hurting snd my face was getting hot.  I spoke up and they jumped into action with a second bag of Benadryl.  A doctor appeared and checked me out. By this time, My face was dark crimson and I was having spasms of pain across the lower back.  This lasted nearly half an hour.

My nurses went on break and a new one appeared to sit with me.  We waited for the pain to go and at started again.  Every five minutes she increased the dose until we reached the normal level.  I had so much Benadryl in me, the leg cramps came back. The nurse massaged the leg and wrapped it in a hot blanket.  I had to give up reading as I was so doped up.

Finally finished at 4:00 and got my ride home quickly.  Very tired tonight.

No comments: