Monday, May 9, 2011

Traffic jam

Woke up to an amazing view of the mountains and a nature preserve in  Valemount.  Breakfast wasn't included so had bacon and eggs in the restaurant before heading out.  It was sunny but there was some ice on my windshield.

Stopped near Barriere for the bathroom and a couple of caches.  Just past the 2nd one I came upon a serious accident.  I could see truck tires sticking up in the air off to the forest side of the road.  The other side was a drop to the river.  The line kept growing in both directions and it was 18 degrees.  I overheard someone say "backroad" and joined 4 other cars who turned around and went to a store for confirmation.  We then went off to the east and found a dirt road heading south.  My GPS said it was the old Hwy 5.  We hit pavement after about 25 km and finally rejoined the original highway north of Kamloops.

Decided to drive to Merritt for lunch and arrived about 3:00.  The radio said that single lane, alternating traffic was finally being allowed through the accident site.  I would have been sitting for at least 3 hours!

Found a few more caches (2,525) on the way to Chilliwack Airport for soup and dessert.  Picked up the radio station with the game just as it started and it finished as I unpacked the car!  Listened on my iPhone in the restaurant.

Tired and glad to be home.  My butt still hurts and my left leg is swollen.  Isn't getting old grand?

No comments: