Monday, June 21, 2010

Face plant

I started out okay today.  Took my car to Toyota for service and winter tires removal.  I finally called Weir to tell Diane I wouldn't make it for lunch.  I was finally done at 12:20.
Stopped at Mark's Workwear and then Oakridge on the way home.  Was coming out of the Bay and trying to cross behind a Canada Post truck that was parked.  Too busy watching for cars and tripped on the speed bump end.  Fell flat on my face!

I could feel the top front tooth dig into the lip.  Of course I bled like a stuck pig and was really shaken up.  Several people came to help and made me lie still for some time as they called 911.  Finally a couple of security guards and a nurse helped me up and over to a bench.  The guards had a first aid kit and cleaned a lot of the blood up.

A fire engine was next and they put me on oxygen as I was getting shaky.  My vitals soon came back to normal for them and we waited around for the ambulance.  They cleaned me up some more and transported me to VGH.  Matt showed up and stayed until 3.  I was then moved to a private room.  Sent some memos and posted to Facebook but had to stop then as the room blocked the signal.  Was also loosing battery power.

The doctor and a student came in at 5ish.  He cleaned me up and put about 7 stitches inside and outside the lip.  My tooth didn't go all the way through so the pavement must have split the outside open.  The cap on the tooth is loose and it hurts every time I touch it.  I'll call my dentist in the morning.  My nose is bloody but isn't broken. A tetanus shot was the final touch.



Mae arrived in a cab just as I was leaving.  Maureen collected me and we stopped at Max's so I could get some soft food.  I picked up my car and was home by 6:15.

I ate part of the food.  I can only chew on one side and it is hard to avoid touching the loose cap.

Think I'll try sleeping in the Lazy Boy tonight.

No comments: