Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Drat

Started the day with blood work at the Cancer Agency.  The nurse made mistake and I had to do it all over again because she was one vial short.  I like the port-a-cath but it is a bit of a production - saline, test vial, vial, saline, heparin. 

Walked over to Fairmont for my oncologist appointment.  My doctor is away so I started with my trials nurse and a resident.  The biopsy in my leg showed that the lymph node there had breast cancer in it.  The difference is that it is estrogen negative while the rest is positive.  The drugs I am on won't have any effect on it.  The question is have they stopped working.  The plan was to stop the trial and see if they will lift the blind.  If I wasn't on the real drug the company might let me switch.  

After working out what might happen, Dr. Chia, the head of breast cancer in BC came in - this is the usual ritual: nurse, resident, oncologist.  He says to carry on with what I am doing until Dr. Gelmon comes back.  He thinks the treatment is holding the rest of the cancer at bay so why stop.  This new one might need radiation.  I'll probably need a biopsy on the other leg to see if those nodes are still positive. 

It was raining so I decided to just come home.  

No comments: