Tuesday, September 10, 2013

New plan

Finally got my hair cut short this afternoon.  Had let it get far too bushy.

Saw my medical oncologist, Karen Gelmon.  Wasn't pleased with my leg.  The fluid added 13 pounds. No wonder it's getting hard to walk.  Immediately cancelled plans for radiation in case it made things worse.  Also stopped my drugs as I am not improving.  Sent me to the BCCA pharmacy for my new drug - paid for this time.  The $6,000/month was eating into my Extended lifetime cap.

The new drug is Capecitabine, a much harsher choice than what I've been on.  Karen went over the side effects and hopes it will shrink the tumours and ease the pain and swelling.   The pharmacist took me into an office and went over the side effects and danger in detail.  I have to avoid the sun, any injury, crowds...   But I can  drink 🍷

Picked up dinner at Max's.  Decided to start the treatment in the morning.  4 pills at breakfast and 4 more at dinner.  Should be 12 hours apart, so I must start getting up earlier.  

Finally managed to get some cream on my right foot by squirting it on and rubbing it in with the other foot.  I know there's a gizmo, but haven't found I yet.  Will make calls tomorrow.

No comments: