Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Braddan

What a busy day. The nurse woke me at 7 so I could get ready. It was really hard getting my teeth cleaned and putting real clothes on. A man from Hospital Transfer put me in his van and drove around the block to Fairmont. He wheeled me up to the Breast Cancer floor where I saw Karen. They got permission from Ottawa for me to get Afinitor on compassionate grounds. That meant I didn't have to pay the $5,000. I'm to start it with Exemestane. The driver is married to a teacher and his father used to be in charge of the school engineers so we had a lot to talk about. He even let me get the prescription at MacDonald's when I had been told they wouldn't.

 I got back and undressed, ready for a good rest. That didn't last because there was now a bed for me at Braddan.  Andrea went to the Cancer Agency for my other prescription.  The same driver came and we managed to get me and all my stuff moved.

I arrived after lunch and they immediately took me in the dining area and found me a sandwich and a cup of tea in a real cup!   Another patient gave me the WiFi code and I was happy. No TV in my room but there is a big one in the lunchroom.  Maureen came to visit but dinner was announced at 4:30.

I learned two things - there is a seating plan and don't bother going in until the wheelchairs arrive.  Dinner was soup, salad, vegetarian lasagna and pumpkin pie.  I ate more than I have been.

I was up a lot today and managed pretty well.  Just lying on my bed (room with 2 old ladies) and reading the newspapers on my iPad.

No comments: