Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crash

Today started out so calmly. I fiddled around on the computer and then set out for Safeway to but the sugar I forgot yesterday. I made it to 70th & Oak.

I was heading West on 70th in the curb lane. Two lanes of cars to my left started to turn left onto the bridge and I drove straight through the intersection. A large bus pulling a trailer booted it through the red light and hit me on the driver side front. I ended up facing North partway down Oak Street. My front end was smashed, the hood buckled up so you could see the engine and the axle broken.

I hit my head on the side window, hurt my right wrist and have a sore shoulder. My right foot twisted between the pedals and was hurting enough that I decided to just sit still. Many people came over to the car as I called 911. Couldn't see the phone at first as my glasses had been ripped off and were on the floor. The ambulance arrived first and they wanted me out in case the airbag deployed. It hurt to walk so I was put on a stretcher. Took me to VGH and I felt every speed bump! The two men couldn't have been nicer.

Matt met me at the hospital and stayed until I went for X-rays. Nothing is broken, it is just a bad sprain - ice and elevation. A police officer came to take a statement and left me the names of 6 witnesses.

Moira collected me and we got groceries at Safeway and lattes at Starbucks. She carried my bags up the stairs in my 3 floor walkup - I am not going out for a few days.

I am very lucky that I was driving a Toyota Corolla. The front end took all the energy and kept the passenger compartment safe. My problem now is what will happen if they write it off - I won't get replacement value and will have to come up with the difference. Maybe I can sue the driver from Florida who was driving a bus from Mississippi.

No comments: