Friday, October 31, 2014

Val

Dear Friends of Val

It's Lori once again.  It saddens me to inform everyone that Val passed away early this morning.  At the same time, I take comfort in knowing that she is finally at peace...it was a long, long struggle that she fought without complaint.  Pru said she went peacefully, as she had wished.  And how very like her to choose this day!
The outpouring of love for Val over these last few months has been astounding.  Especially in these last weeks, her room has almost always had someone there with her, and I know how she enjoyed hearing from everyone near and far.
Last week, the Val Hamilton teacher-librarian award was presented at the BCTLA conference.  All her work for our profession and learning conditions was mentioned, and Jim Iker was in attendance.  He took the time to visit Val the next day and personally thank her for all her important contributions. A real gentleman, for sure, and I know Val would be so pleased to have heard that conversation.
Thank you, everyone, for every little thing you did to enhance Val's life and final days.
She will be missed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was very impressed with her dignity and resolve to do all she could to try and conquer her cancer. She didn't let life pass her by, she lived each day as best she could. She had great determination and courage right to the end. RIP Val.

Brolin Empey said...

I remember Val from when I was a student at Dr. George M. Weir Elementary School in Vancouver, British Columbia in year 1999 inclusive-or 2000. Val is still the only person I have known who had a camera that uses a flexible magnetic disc (3.5-inch (micro floppy disc), double-sided, High-density) as its storage medium (non-volatile memory). The camera was a digital still camera. I believe the brand/make was Sony but I do not know the model name. I had not communicated with Val for over one decade. I have been saying for years that I should ask Val if she still has her unique camera but I now see that I have procrastinated for too long. ☹

J Tyson said...

Future cancer patients owe Val a debt for participating in the clinical trial of Reolysin.

The data was presented at the American Association of Cancer Researchers (AACR) 2016 conference this week in Washington DC: http://tinyurl.com/mqfgmbv