Friday, May 2, 2014

New plan

Was at the Cancer Agency for bloodwork at 9:00.  They took several tubes for the study I'm on.  Convinced the nurse that I needed more and she found the orders buried under the trial papers.   Saved me a trip back.  Had breakfast in the cafeteria.

Karen and my trials nurse are both in Toronto.  The replacement nurse and a resident started the exam.  Eventually, two men and four women poked and prodded and photographed my groin.  The CT Scan showed some of the tumours are shrinking.  They weren't happy with the bleeding, weeping tumour sticking through the skin on the top of my leg.  My bloodwork results arrived.  The only problem is low hemoglobin.  Must eat liver.

The replacement oncologist came in and said that she thinks I'll be taken out of the trial as the one tumour looks 20% bigger.  That's the threshold the study sets.  She also want radiation that should start next week.  In case there is an infection, she took a swab and started me on antibiotics.

The photographer came to take photos for the study.  Two nurses then put on a big dressing.  They didn't have what they needed to do it properly.  I thought I could do it myself but they said it was impossible.  It needs packing to encourage healing.  I agreed to home care.

Met Pru for lunch at Trafiq on Main.  So good I brought hone soup for dinner and some desserts.   Stopped at Safeway for some groceries and the prescription.  

Amazing how much better walking was with the dressing on.  Most of the pain is gone.  It really hurt this morning.  

Started cleaning a bit to get ready for the nurse but I got a call that I go to the South Community Health Center at 49th and Knight on Saturday and Sunday.  Will try cleaning the hall, bedroom and bathroom in case they need to come here on chemo days.  

Karen and my regular trials nurse will be back on Monday and then I'll know the new plan.  Right now I go at 10:15 for the treatment.  Remembered to book Freemasons.  

No comments: